A good custard is key to any ketogenic dessert. Eggs and almond milk are cooked slowly to form a creamy custard, while sweet Meyer lemon and vanilla make it taste like spring. The best part is that this keto custard has ZERO net carbs so you can indulge without the guilt!
Meyer Lemon Keto Custard Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes, plus 3 hours to chill | Total Time: 3 hours 25 minutes
Nutritional Facts: 0g Net Carbs| 83 Calories | 6g Fat | 1g Carbs | 6g Protein | 1g Fiber
Note: Custard needs to be cooked slowly, and whisked or stirred constantly, or it will curdle because it’s made of eggs. If you have a double boiler, use that. If you don’t, stir, stir, and stir some more. If the recipe does curdle, you can blend the mixture, strain it through cheesecloth, and chill it, but it won’t have the exact same texture. It’ll be tasty either way.
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tbsp freshly-squeeze Meyer lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sugar-free vanilla bean sweetener
- 1 tsp fresh-grated Meyer lemon zest
- In a single serve blender, combine the eggs, almond milk, lemon juice, and sweetener and blend to mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan and heat it over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until thick, about 15 minutes.
- Pour the custard into two 3 1/2 ramekins or small mason jars. Sprinkle the custard with fresh-grated lemon zest on top.
- Cover the jars with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours.